As a woodworker I have always preferred scroll saws over power jigsaws, simply because of their ability to produce better and more delicate cuts. I have been using DEWALT DW788 scroll saw for more than a year now. Following is my take on the DEWALT DW788 scroll saw. Its features, pros and cons and also is it the best scroll saw by Dewalt? Let’s find out.
DEWALT DW788 scroll saw – Features
- The DW788 20” is equipped with tool-free blade clamps.
- Double parallel- link arm design.
- On-off switch, dust blower, electronic variable speed attached at front upper side of the scroll saw.
- The arm design allows perpendicular suspension of the blade that reduces the chances of overcut.
- Oversized, cast- iron table for material support and bevels 45 degrees.
- Motor at 1.3 amps rating with 120V.
- Can produce 400-1,750 cutting strokes per minute.
- Weighs in at 56 lbs.
- CSA approved, U.L listed and standardized with OSHA.
- The attached shaft is flexible with a length of around 22 inches.
- Electronic speed controller.
- Three years of limited period warranty with one year of free servicing.
- 90 days of money back guarantee if you happen to find an issue with the device.
- The arm’s design is a big contributor in controlling vibrations and allows you to work without errors.
- Since all the controls are on the front side of the Dewalt DW788 scroll saw, operating them while working is pretty easy.
- Has a powerful 1.3 amp motor that works faster and provides accurate results.
- A feature like blower is an add-on that comes in very handy especially for wood working.
- The packaging comes with 2 blades, so initially you won’t need to invest in blades.
- Scroll saws are costly and so is the Dewalt DW788 scroll saw.
- The saw is heavy, so one should be extra careful while handling it.
- The size of the machine’s work table should be considered before buying it; you’ll need to redesign your table accordingly.
- Does not work optimally with other thick materials.
- Very accurate for curves but unfortunately not a great selection for straight cuts.
- The pre packed blades are not of a very good quality, I would suggest you buy separate sets of blades before you commence work.
So, as the DEWALT DW788 review say’s, the product is excellent for woodworking but not so great for other materials. Personally, I feel this one is the best Dewalt scroll saw for me. As I said, I have been using this saw for more than a year now and hardly has it ever troubled me. I bought it off of amazon at a discounted price and I would recommend you do the same. Remember to wear your protective gears and get to working.
Delta Power Tools 40-694 Review
Power tools have been wood workers favourite for ages. Long, complicated wood require a lot of power that only a power tool can provide. There are a lot of power tools in the market but Delta is amongst those brands that have been consistent with their performance.
I own a Delta Power Tool 40-694 20 In. Variable speed scroll saw. Today, I will be sharing my review of the Delta Power Tool 40-694, its varied features, negatives and positives all coming through. If you are planning to buy a new scroll saw for yourself, this is a must read for you.
- Provides storage space for your blades.
- Adjustable tilt according to your work table.
- The dust hose fires off all the dust.
- Electronic Variable Speed, adjustable from 400 – 1,750 SPM.
- Motor- 1.3 amp
- Capacity of 20 inches.
- Stroke length of 3.4 inches.
- Table size required 16 X 24 in.
- Can tilt from 0 degrees to -45 degrees both left and right.
- Cutting capacity of 2 1/8 inches at 90 degrees and 1 5/8 inches at 45 degrees.
- Assembled depth of 39 inches and width of 16 inches.
- Dual parallel link arm.
- Tool- free blade clamps.
- 60 pounds of heavy weight.
- The dust hose keeps the work station clean.
- The storage space is clean and provides sufficient protection to the blades.
- The variable speed facilitates smooth cutting experience for various materials.
- Highly functional motor.
- The modified arms create less vibration, building precision.
- For easier blade change the upper arm lifts and locks at the risen position.
- Better designed blade clamps for quick blade change, not interrupting your work flow.
- Five years of limited warranty.
- Cuts amazing curves and intarsia.
- At high speed the Delta power tools 40-694 scroll saw makes some strong vibrations.
- Lubrication and maintenance of the Scroll saw is important from time to time which can be a variable cost.
- After few years of work the buttons can get loose and damped.
- Amongst expensive scroll saws.
- It’s heavy to fix and unfix from the table.
- Requires a set of table/ work station that can carry the Delta power tool.
- Comes with a plastic knob to control table angles. It is not of a very good quality and can easily break.
Overall, Delta has a combined experience of 90 years of producing good quality power tools. If you are starting out or are looking for a shift, the Delta power tools 40-694 scroll saw can be a perfect choice. It was an amazon choice when I bought it. If you are looking for great deals on Delta power tools, check out amazon.com. A quick advice would be getting new blades, since the ones that come with the tool might now live long.