My son has always shown a keen interest in our family business of watchmaking. Now that he has graduated, I felt it was the right time for him to join our club. I was wondering what could be the perfect present for him when suddenly wisdom struck me. Nothing can be better than a digital Verniercaliper.
I came across a range of Mitutoyo Digital Caliper including the Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Advanced Onsite Sensor (AOS) Absolute Scale Digital Caliper. Its features caught my attention and I bought 2 of those, one for my son and another for myself.
To clear all your doubts and questions here is an extended Mitutoyo Digital Caliper review. The articles go through the calipers good and bad, features and help you figure out a way to stay away from fake Mitutoyo digital calipers.
- Has a measuring range of 0-6 inches.
- The accuracy of 0.0005 inches.
- Advanced Onsite Sensor (AOS).
- The large LCD panel shows inches and metric reading.
- The digital caliper measures inside, outside, depth, and step values.
- SR44 silver oxide battery.
- Comes with a protective case.
- Comes with an attached thumb roller.
- Zero key.
- Data Hold Unit (959143) is optional.
- 10 x 4 x 1 inch in overall dimension.
- Weighs in at 0.16 ounces.
- The AOS feature protects digital caliper from dust, water, and oil.
- The Zero/ABS key allows zeroing on the display at any point on the scale.
- Higher accuracy help develops better measurements and results.
- The package comes with batteries which are a plus. You don’t have to invest additionally for batteries. Not in the near future.
- The protective case is hard and protects the caliper from any kind of damage.
- The LCD display is clear and gives good viewing angles.
- The jaws are firmly attached and glide smoothly on the scale.
- The caliper allows way conversions from metric to inches.
- Don’t have to re-zero, displays accurate results in one go.
- The batteries have a long life. They last even after months of constant use.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Overall built quality is premium.
- One may be alarmed considering the higher price tag on this thing.
- Ample of replicas of Mitutoyo Digital Calipers are present in the market. Without buying you can’t really confirm if the one you got is real or fake.
- Maintaining the caliper is an added cost. Soon you’ll start facing issues with the jaws gliding, display not working properly or other mechanical or technical issues. Getting a regular check of the digital caliper is important.
- For basic calibration work on should go for a cheaper caliper.
- Mitutoyo has digital solar calipers, unfortunately, this is not one of those.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
About Mitutoyo Digital Calipers
Mitutoyo is a Japanese organization that has dedicated its focus on manufacturing measuring instruments. Micrometers, calipers, dial indicators,and gauge blocks are amongst their highly appreciated products in the market. Talking about calipers, they produce first class, top of the line digital calipers, including –
- Absolute coolant proof caliper IP67
- Absolute coolant proof caliper IP67 with carbide tipped jaws.
- Absolute AOS digimatic
- Absolute AOS digimatic caliper with carbide tipped jaws.
- Absolute coolant proof solar caliper IP67.
- Absolute digimatic solar caliper.
- Absolute digimatic caliper for long range.
- Absolute digimatic caliper with nib style jaws.
- Absolute digimatic caliper with nib style and standard jaws.
- Absolute digimatic carbon fibre caliper IP66.
- Absolute digimatic carbon fiber caliper IP66 with extra long jaws.
- Absolute digimatic carbon fiber caliper IP66 with interchangeable jaws/ scriber.
These calipers cater to a varied category of users starting from scientists to geologists.
Available Measuring Range in Mitutoyo Digital Calipers varies from 6 inches to 8 inches and 12 inches. I choose the basic 6” variant of Mitutoyo absolute AOS digimatic caliper. For others who are wondering, it also has a long 12” variant.
How To Check Your Mitutoyo Digital Calipers For Originality
There is a lot of duplicity in the measuring instruments segment too. Below are some specific instructions you can follow to check if your Mitutoyo digital caliper is original and you did not lose your money on fake one.
- On turning on your caliper the display should read “0.0000”.
- The batteries should be “SR44” and the same shall be mentioned on the battery that comes in the box along with “Japan”.
- The serial numbers on the caller should match the serial number mentioned on the calibration certificate.
- Mitutoyo digital calipers are always shipped in a sealed plastic bag.
There are dozens of Chinese company coming up with new, more accurate replicas of Mitutoyo digital calipers. Be cautious.
Better accuracy, greater results, and long life all of which comes with a price. The Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Advanced Onsite Sensor (AOS) Absolute Scale Digital Caliper is all of them. If you are on a budget and looking for a reliable digital caliper, you can look for another range of digital calipers from Mitutoyo. I would recommend the Mitutoyo 500-196-30 digital caliper for professional usage.
Never keep your digital caliper outside the box when not in use. The protective case that comes with the caliper protects it from external dirt and damage. Keep the caliper away from the body when using it, as the jaws and depth meter is sharp and harmful. Don’t try to use batteries other than the recommended ones.
I prefer amazon.com for all my electronic purchase. I bought my Mitutoyo digital caliper from Amazon.com. The delivery was fast and the product was original. I would recommend you to do the same. Otherwise, there are electronic stores where you can easily find this caliper.