If you are looking for the best scroll saws in 2019 then my tested scroll saws reviews are geared to help you find the right one. It is hard enough to make those accurate cuts with a scroll saw. Finding the best should not be such a daunting task either.
Especially, if you are looking to cut wood, laminates or even plastic getting the precise curved cut is impossible without a good scroll saw.
So, here we go. Find your best scroll saws in 2019 form my following tested and reviewed list. I have been an architect for a while now, and have ended up using these in some or the other.
- The 1.3-Amp motor can go smoothly through the material.
- The adjustable speed of 400-1,750 sinks into your material.
- Your throat depth of 20 inches lets you work on big materials easily.
- You adjust and tension it smoothly.
- Comes with a dust blower to keep the debris off your workstation.
- The sturdy cast-iron table which gives you a big working area.
- Dual parallel-link arm gives you major goals for stability.
- Use the tool-less blade change to change blades easily.
- Can be a little pricier than its alternatives.
The DEWALT DW788 20″ Variable-Speed Scroll Saw is a pretty quiet operator for those smooth cuts and accurate ones too. The easy setting of the arm which can be lifted of the dust blower gives you an easy adjustment. Also the power switch, and saw adjustments placed on the front side of the upper arm give you comfort in using it too.
What we really want in a scroll saw is set it up easily and instantly use it. That’s what makes it a good machine to have. DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20- is that you can set it up and put it on your working surface in no time.
The table has a single hole with few insertions making it super easy to use and assemble.
- Comes with a solid building quality that is durable.
- The adjustable speed control of 400 – 1,600 SPM gives you versatility and accuracy in cutting a different kind of materials
- Comes with big cast-iron table and with a throat depth of 16-inch. Means you can easily bolt it to a workbench.
- At 28 lbs, it is portable so you can carry it to your work site too.
- Accepting both pinned and pin-less blades, you can use it with comfort.
- You can find that the motor is under powered and only suitable for woodwork.
Oh, this is a pretty handy tool. You can take on the artist in you with those artful cuts with the WEN 3920 Scroll Saw. Helping you get the accurate and tiny cuts that have to be just precise.
This is not a scroll saw for heavy duty. The small motor is suitable for medium projects that are for low dense material. The user friendly-ness and affordable price is a good thing for the features it comes with. It is a value for money when you are on a budget.
Especially, for beginners who have not used a scroll saw, this one fits the bill.
- Comes at a pocket-friendly price tag.
- You get an A graded metal built quality with a good iron cast.
- Adjustable speed of 550 SPM to 1700 SPM lets to adjust it also with your material.
- Fairly big and a solid iron cast work table.
- You get a clear view of the finger guard and the hold down the shoe.
- You get a dust port to keep the debris away.
- You get a tilt table of 0 – 45 degrees with visible angle-gauge on the front side.
- Also, an adjustable LED lamp.
- None to state at the price it comes.
The Shop Fox Scroll Saw comes with a goose neck work light, east dust blower and also a dust port. With that, you get a 45° tilt table, where you can change blades easily.
This is a much-credited scroll saw, as you would usually find it in carpentry schools and workshops since its inception in 2009.
The Shop Fox W1713 is designed for starters and professionals for low-density materials. It’s accurate stability lets you make very delicate cuts with a skilled hand. But, it works only for wood, so for the price it comes, it is a very good scroll saw.
Usually, with budget scroll saws, you will not get all the features. But for the price this one comes at you are getting all the compact features you need to get your work done.
- The iron cast tabletop gives you a solid and sturdy table. Giving you great user control over it. Especially, when you need it to function at high speed. It helps absorb vibrations with giving you top-notch
- You have tremendous control over the speed while being adjusted swiftly to adapt to the materials. You can also do that on the fly.
- You can use this to cut this from metal to wood and plastic. With the dust blower, you cut clean and visible. Making the features very useful.
- You get a tilt table that you can adjust at your need and lock it whenever you need to.
- You can use this powerful tool easily it doesn’t take long for you to learn how to as the learning curve pretty low. In fact, that is one of the main reasons why this scroll saw is given to students and beginners in carpentry schools.
- You need the experience to get the blade tensions right with the Delta Power Tools 40-694 Scroll Saw.
Catered for durability and precision the Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 inch variable speed scroll saw comes with a full compact feature. You get a unique dual parallel-link arm design which reduces the vibration and the noise. It also keeps the blade perpendicular to your work surface. That reduces your over or undercutting. It also improves your precision and quality.
If you a seasoned woodworker who needs t make precise and delicate cuts every day, then this is the absolute product for you. It has the right combination of features you need to be a busy professional who needs accuracy, control,and versatility in their designs.
It is literally impossible to get a better scroll saw at this price with the same features. We recommend the Delta Power Tools 40-694 Scroll Saw for professionals.
- For under $200 you get a scroll saw that features all the top-notch things you need to get your work done. So, you don’t have to go broke buying one.
- The slack control enables you to relieve or increase the tension. This makes it easier for you to change the blades.
- The dust blower curves in form the side making you clean up easier.
- With the minimum vibration on the level, you know that you will be making precise cuts with comfort.
- The blades stutter when speed is decreased, works better at high speed.
- There is a light but the voltage is pretty low. Could have been brighter to see those precise cuts.
The PORTER-CABLE PCB375SS shows off a broad 12-5/8″ x 20″ aluminum dual tilting table. Giving you a good 45 degrees left and 15 degrees right bevel cuts. You can easily make accurate cuts on almost all materials.
With all of that, you get a storage compartment on a side where you can store your extra blades. That saves you ample of time instead of searching your workshop for the blades you need.
This is a great choice for garages and workshops. But, we would not recommend this for beginners as you need a learning curve before you dive into PORTER-CABLE 18″ Variable Speed Scroll Saw.
The Best Scroll Saw Brands 2019
You will find beginners always confusing a scroll saw with a jigsaw. But, what really sets them apart is that the scroll saw is for heavier duty. You can use it cut almost all kinds of materials. You will find a scroll saw to be similar to a band saw.
But, you get a reciprocating blade action instead of a continuous loop style.
So, when you are about to but your scroll saw, see that you will be using it for in the first place. Because a scroll saw is hard for every day us. It is more used for crafting. So, for your ease here are the top selling brands for scroll saws 2019.
The Top Brands for Scroll Saws | 2019 |
- DEWALT DW788 Scroll Saw
- WEN 3920 Scroll Saw
- Dremel MS20-01 Scroll Saw
- Shop Fox W1713 Scroll Saw
- Hegner 18″ Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- General International Excalibur Scroll Saw
- Delta Power Tools 40-694 Scroll Saw
- Rockwell ShopSeries RK7315 Scroll Saw
- PORTER-CABLE 18″ Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Scroll Saw
Well, now if you are a beginner at this, you can easily follow my step by step process to learn how to use a scroll saw.
A scroll saw is one of the first things you would be having in your workshop, especially for crafting. No, it is not a jigsaw. It will help you cut different shapes and patterns on wood or any other material like metal, plastics or even laminates.
Don’t let all the sharp machinery scare you. Once you learn how to use a scroll saw safely, you know you will be learning a whole new craft. So, just go through my listed instructions for you to simply learn how.
Step 1 –First get your Protective Gear
Before everything else, you need to slip n your protective glasses and a dust mask for yourself. Even with the dust blower, you will be seeing a lot of debris coming your way. If you have long hair cover your hair or you can hold it back. Lastly, always make sure you are nowhere near the saw. Fold them up for safety.
Step 2 – Prepare the Wood
Now, what you need to do is cut of the size of the wood you want to make the pattern on. You need to sand the wood alongside the rough edges too. Now, you need to transfer the pattern on the wood using your pencil. Now, just make sure the patterned marks on the wood are visible.
Step 3 – Prepare your Saw to Cut
Firstly clamp your saw tight on the working area. Now, you need to install the right blade for your size. Also for the delicacy of your pattern you are about to cut so that it places firmly on to the saw.
Remember, the thinner your material is, the smaller the teeth blades you need. Now, turn on the saw carefully. If your saw comes with a light, turn that on too. Don’t forget the dust blower to blow away the dust. Test your saw on an extra price of wood before you start your actual project.
Step 4 – Start Cutting
You need to set the speed of the scroll saw adapted to the material you are cutting. The thicker your material is, the higher the speed you need. Whereas, thinner materials need slower speed.
Now, that you have the scroll saw on, you can direct your blade to the first line. It’s like a sewing machine where you have to use both hands to direct the marked patterns on the wood alongside the position of the wood.
While you guide along the wood, remember not to get your hands too close to the blade. Don’t rush, direct your wood pattern carefully along the lines and the blade. If you rush you will riskslicing a portion of your fingers and hands. Even worse, a badly crooked pattern. So, be careful.
Step 5 – Making the 90 Degree Turn
You don’t have to switch your scroll saw off to make the 90 degrees turn you know. When you are about to make that turn, you need to take the blade back through the cut-upline. And then remove the piece of wood out of the saw. Now, you need to insert the saw all over again on the adjacent line that meets the angle and the turn.
Step 6 – Finishing the Pattern.
Once you have cut out the pattern, turn off your scroll saw. Sand out the rough edges too. You need to remove the saw blade, alongside unclamp it from the working surface for the storage.
Well, that was our comprehensive list of the best scroll saws in 2019. We also added the Scroll Saw User Manual for your convenience. Till our next review of scroll saws, happy woodworking!